Group discussion is the best platform to shortlist potential candidates based on their communication skills and other parameters.
While a group of candidates are assigned a topic for discussion for 15-20 minutes. The group panel will share a topic and allocate few minutes for discussion. A crew of subject experts will evaluate the performance of the team members and prepare a report with final analysis.
GD is designed to test your behavior and influence in your group. Formal English language and mutual respect are considered while speaking. Don’t give strong concluding statements at the beginning of the discussion. Learn to disagree politely if required without saying the words”I disagree”.
A selected topic will be given the group members and 2-3 minutes time will be given for thinking. Group discussion takes 10-15 minutes time based on the given topic. GD evaluation is done by the subject experts based on the discussions. A report will be prepared on analyzing the facts at the end of the discussion.
Here are some focused areas to be tested in Group discussion round:
Subject experts will evaluate the listening and articulation skills of the participant. Listening is equally important as speaking, so listen carefully while other team members are speaking and note down the important points to be discussed.
Make a list of important points related to the given topics to discuss in group discussion. Practice well before the GD to perform effectively with relevant discussions.
However a group discussion is meant to test leadership skills including analytical skills, communication skills, team skills, ability to handle stress, decision-making skills etc. GD panel will look for the candidates with the combination of above skills.
Follow below suggestions to prepare well for Group discussion:
- Have patience and adapt good listening skills.
- Listen carefully as everyone will be delivering some valuable opinions.
- Enhance analytical skills to think carefully and present them in GD
- Read more topics and increase your knowledge on current affairs
- Learn to respect others and their words in GD
- Learn to be open minded and polite to speak effectively in group discussions
- Make a habit of presenting your thoughts in a structured way.
- It is always better to use transparent English language rather than speaking in a sophisticated accent and using ‘big’ words.